Our client is a family run wholesaler specialising in fabrics for the upholstery industry. The company distributes products to manufacturers, retailers, designers and the contract industry in the UK and around the world. They are now seeking a Fabric Technologist with retail and manufacturing experience, coupled with an analytical mind.
Fabric Technologist - the Role:
- Manage all aspects of fabric - to include risk assessments, submissions and ensuring compliance.
- Provide technical support and advice throughout the product development and selection process.
- Develop close relationships with suppliers to ensure fabrics are managed effectively at source. Travel to key sourcing destinations to visit and complete detailed supplier evaluations for everything from fabric mills to manufacturers.
- Day to day management of third party test reports and company systems to catalogue and interpret results
- Keeping up to date with chemical surveillance, changes in Reach & compliance etc.
- Work closely alongside other team members in Design and Buying to provide technical support and advice throughout the product development and selection process.
- Work to a Testing schedule, to ensure all ranges are kept up to date.
- Attending Textile trade shows UK Europe & overseas
Fabric Technologist - The Candidate:
- Commercial experience, ideally in retail, manufacturing / supply or supporting organisations such as a product testing laboratories.
- Demonstrate a wealth of fabric knowledge, including all aspects of dyeing, finishing, printing and colour management.
- Flexible approach to be able to adjust to the constantly changing needs of the business.
- Natural decision maker with the ability to assess a situation and make commercial recommendations for the business.
- Can demonstrate initiative, problem solving and negotiation skills
- Capability to work in a high pressure environment
- Knowledge of working to ethical guidelines
- Reliable, flexible and able to work within a fast pace team.
- Able to communicate in a clear and compelling way across the business.
- Creative and commercial thinker with experience of leading the development process up to product launch.
- In depth technical knowledge of textile fabrics suitable for upholstery products including testing and performance standards.
- Highly organised with the ability to manage and coordinate a varied and challenging workload.
- Confident and persuasive communication skills to work productively alongside other Product teams and external suppliers
- MUST have a minimum 2.1 grade in a relevant BSC or BA Degree in textiles/fashion/technology fields, Master’s Degree advantageous but not essential.
- MUST have previous experience of working with Chinese & Indian factories.
- Must have proven experience in chemical testing and Fabric testing to REACH/ EU and USA standards.
- Must have previous experience of working with UK High Street customers – previous experience of working with some of our clients base is an advantage but not essential.
Fabric Technologist - The Package:
Please note that due to the anticipated interest in these roles only short listed candidates will be contacted. By applying for this role you will be asked to consent to the u&i Search GDPR Policy.