Date Posted:12 December 2023
Work Hours:Full Time OR 4 days a week
Our client is a fabulous family run business with over 75 years of experience. They are a business that offer design and manufacturer of Fashion accessories to the high street with a portfolio of private label customers and their own branded division. This is a fantastic company to work for as they truly value all their staff and encourages engagement, empowerment, and growth. They now have a new opportunity to join their team as a Buyer across their branded division. This is a brand-new role within the business, so it is a great opportunity for you to make this position your own. Working within the Brands Division as Buyer, you will play a pivotal role in leading their product strategy and expanding their business across all channels. You will work closely with the designers, merchandisers, and technologists to land new and exciting product ranges for their customers.
The client would be open to a more experienced Buyer who would like to work 4 days a week.
Buyer - The Role:
- Product Strategy – Working alongside the designer, develop the seasonal product strategy considering both future trend and current sales data.
- Competitor Analysis – Develop a strong knowledge of the market in which we operate and our key competitors. Monitor competitor activity and pricing to identify opportunity and risk.
- Range Building – Analyse data and plan the range across all categories with the designer and merchandiser. Ensure a commercially balanced product range that meets customer needs for wholesale and retail channels.
- Range Sign Off - Prepare and present final ranges to Heads of department and Directors at range sign off meetings.
- Sourcing & Supplier Management - Establish and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential suppliers. Identify sourcing gaps and propose new supplier routes. Work along side the merchandising team on supplier production planning to leverage cost benefit and ensure on-time range launch.
- Drive Sustainability – alongside the product technologist, collaborate with suppliers to establish and maintain sustainable practices. Stay on top of industry trends, ensuring our products align with the environmental and social responsibility goals.
- Cost Price Negotiation - Negotiate costs with supply base on new and core products to meet margin requirements.
- Critical Path Management – Maintain all aspects of the critical path alongside the merchandiser and technologist, to ensure key deadlines and launches are achieved. Manage product & packaging from concept to final production.
- Trading the Range – Present best & worst sellers in monthly trade meetings. Trade the ranges and act quickly to identify new product opportunities. Work with the Head of Sales on stock exit strategies and markdown proposals.
- Travel – Regular UK and overseas travel to develop new ranges and build relationships with suppliers. Attend trade shows, buying trips and competitor shopping trips when required.
Buyer - The Candidate:
- Analytical mindset - able to interpret and analyse data, identify risk, and provide recommendations to guide product range decisions.
- Clear communication – communicate clearly and effectively with suppliers and other team members, fostering strong relationships and ensuring seamless operations. Strong presentation and communication skills, with the ability to bring people on the journey with you.
- Knowledge of industry standard tools - including PLM systems, critical path, progress reports, sample trackers and the range plan. Ability to utilise tools to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Attention to detail – Pay meticulous attention to product specifications and quality standards to ensure all product meets our standards.
- Time management – demonstrate excellent time management skills to prioritise tasks, meet deadlines and optimise the efficiency of the supply chain.
- Creativity & innovation – bring creativity and innovation to the product selection, staying ahead of market trends and introducing new products that resonate with our customer base.
- Adaptability – adapt to the dynamic retail landscape, adjusting strategy based on market shifts and embracing opportunities for growth.
- Negotiation expertise – possess strong negotiation skills to secure favourable terms and prices to contribute to improved profit margins.
- Decisiveness – demonstrate the ability to make timely and informed decisions, considering factors such as product demand, supplier reliability and budget constraints.
- Financial insight – good working knowledge of excel. Ability to apply a strong understanding of trade data, price strategy, profit margin and to make financially sound decisions.
- Right to work in UK essential and driving license and own car due to remote location
Buyer - The Package:
- Salary depending on experience
- Excellent benefits package including excellent holiday entitlement, private health care, bonus and pension. Plus other softer benefits like discounted staff sales and wellbeing events.
Due to the anticipated interest in this role only short listed candidates will be contacted.
By applying for this role you will be asked to consent to the u&i Search GDPR Policy